Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My Election Day thoughts.

The weeks heading up to the election, I couldn't really feel the same energy everyone else was feeling as I've written on here. I wasn't even so sure whether I was going to vote because to be honest, although history was going to be re-written; I was so sure that Obama was gonna win (especially my state) that I figured why did it matter? I didn't watch the debates much, I didn't follow the campaign trail with much attention, and so on. You could make the argument that I was only voting for Obama because 1) He's African-American and 2) He's a democrat and that's the party that I believe in more even if I'm extremely apathetic. Part of it probably has to deal with the fact that in NYC, even though our mayor Mike Bloomberg is a Republican; he definetly does not think nor act like one...and I can't complain about him...unlike that Giuliani guy. Not to mention I'm sure there was some fear that since in 2000 and 2004 some prayers were not answered that 2008 would make it 3 for 3.

I have always questioned whether or not we were ready for an African-American president right now. Not so much 20 years from now in which the answer would have more likely have been a yes; but at this very moment. One thing this election taught me is that while that answer is obviously a yes given Barack is going to be the next President- this is not necessarily true everywhere. It didn't surprise me one bit that the South and Middle America were Red. While I'm sure it mostly had to do with legit politics, sometimes I ask myself if Obama was a Republican or if Condoleeza Rice ran on the Republican ticket for example how the voters would truly feel. The interesting thing to note is that Obama only won the popular vote by 3 million or so; even if he completely dominated the Electoral Vote. Fuck it, Gore (I believe) won the popular vote last year but lost the electoral college. I'm not the biggest fan of the electoral college because it makes the popular vote less important and all you really need are the 4-5 big states and you're good.

Obama won this easily because while he had Cali (55) and NY (31) on lock...he was able to take 3 huge states as well; including Pennsylvania (21) and two (Ohio and Florida with their combined 47 EC points) that Bush had in 2004. Had McCain defended those two states; you're talking about a closer defeat (instead of the current 338-163 it would be 291-210 hah). The 21 Obama got in PA, even if he hadn't taken PA he still would've had enough to be president: being right at 270. This demonstrates how truly dominant he really was with just those three states alone. McCain took 21 states...but aside from Texas, he only took 2 states that had 10 or more electoral votes (Arizona's 10- his homefield advantage and Georgia's 15).

Watching it all unfold with a few of my friends at the bar I was a lot calmer than other people there with everything. The victory was never in doubt to me, it was only a matter of when exactly it was going to happen. I knew that for Obama, the magic number was going to be 215...if he got to that number before California's polls closed, it would have been over. When Virginia (13) was announced for him, the bar went into a ruckus (Obama was on 220) and I knew then and there it was game over. When it was made official, to be honest with you I have NEVER seen people happier in my entire life than at that moment, overflowing joy, people crying, laughing, hugging, takin shots for Obama, all that shit hah. After 8 years, Team Blue now knows what it's like to celebrate. And maybe, just maybe, people's faith and belief in this country will be restored, especially amongst the minority community because now they feel like their voices have been heard. The middle class' voices have been heard. The young voters' voices have been heard.

I apologize for being apathetic about voting. I had no idea how vindicating it was going to be, even in a state that Obama won 62/37, in a county (Queens) where he won 75/25. I can actually say, damn...I helped make it happen, even if it was a ridiculously small percentage. It's probably not going to hit me that Obama is really president until January 20th...when of all people George Bush is going to be the one to swear him in (I find that hilarious)
********INTERMISSION*********
To an extent the same way people in the South worshipped Bush is the same way I've found many people to worship Obama so this is an ultimate changing of the guard.
********Back to the show********

All I know is this, Obama has four years to fix up shit around here, I have faith that he'll do it...I just hope that people don't expect it to all come at once because it's going to take some time. I hope my fellow African-American community doesn't believe that he's going to be our true savior because it's not just about us, it's about everyone who wakes up in the morning, gets on their 9-5 hustle, sometimes having to work another side job to get a dollar out of 15 cents, young and old, black white hispanic whatever. As far as for the Republicans, while of course yall are predicting doom now and blah blah blah...we can all agree to disagree. If you want to move to Canada, that's cool- it's even more liberal than up in the North hah. You had your turn, let's see what Obama does now. If it doesn't work out, then fine yall were right but I don't have doubts that Obama will be just fine (as long as no1 tries to fuck with the soon-to-be-made Barack-mobile).

PS- I ask myself however, what if Hilary Clinton was the democratic-elect? Would the turnout have been as strong? Probably not. And I'm sure the race would have been a lot closer...but that's just me and there's too much to assume.

Oh, and God bless the Boston Celtics for making me $26 last night on top of this. You know I had to throw a random sports blurb in there. Why they were an underdog last night I wasn't 100% sure but whatever.

And so on.

No comments: