Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Over-Excitement?

Young DK was awoken at 730am much to his displeasure this morning because his sister wanted him to drop her off to school- even though she wasn't feeling well. I was havin a damn good dream too, too bad I don't quite remember what it involved (probably some chick and myself, as most of my dreams typically are). Anyway I got some breakfast and went back to bed at 9.

11am comes:
Pops- JAY!
Me- (mumbles what??)
Pops- Aren't you gonna watch the inauguration?!
Me- (mumbles) he ain't gettin inaugurated til noon (hmph).

I wake up at around 11:55 and half-asleep I place myself on the couch and witness Obama getting inaugurated, and him giving his speech.

At the end of all of this, I just felt like it was a typical inauguration. The excitement for me at least of Barack being the first black president sworn in left me a long time ago, left me on Election Day. Part of it was due to the media. Never before have I seen this much anticipation and leadup to an inauguration. It's an excellent moment in history no doubt. As an African-American, yes I am proud. But it humors me to an extent when I see all these people in tears and whatnot, suddenly proud to be an American because of one figure. Never before has a president gotten this much attention, hype and praise even before taking office. This is akin to Tim Tebow already being hailed as the greatest college football player of all time; or when people were anointing Reggie Bush as the next Barry Sanders (nigga please); or all those "the Next Jordans" in the NBA. There's so much that needs to be fixed that had been fucked up for the past 8 years that it ain't gonna happen overnight. Change has come yes, but it would have came irregardless of who our next president was gonna be. All these specials on how the black man has had to overcome yes they're all nice...but they get repetitive after a while. Do they need to be out there? Sure I guess, the more you know, the better. But overkill can be a dangerous thing. It ruined this special moment for me just a bit because it made the inauguration anti-climatic. Now it's time to get to work. One thing I'm pretty confident though is this. As long as Obama makes progress in these four years, it's gonna be next to impossible for whoever runs against him in 2012 to beat him.

And so on.

No comments: