Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Craigslist Nightmare.

Well of course tryin to find a "casual encounter" on there might not be the best thing in the world to do (no I haven't tried this...yet but you get my point). I found a job listing on this bitch entitled "Sports / Entertainment / Entry Level / Marketing / Sales (Queens/Long Island NY)." Fuck Long Island but everything else about it sounded pretty damn good.

So I apply for this because I see this said company works with professional sports teams, blah blah blah. So I'm thinkin Sports and Entertainment Marketing, this is wassup right here...chances to move up pretty quickly, etc. I get a call back literally the next day for an interview; which the interview lasts about 10 or so minutes before they tell me they like me enough for a 2nd interview on Monday.

In the meantime I check out their website and their website is not detailed at all and very vague. But since I'm under the impression that it's a growing company and is a work in progress; I let it rock and am curious to see what this job really entails me to do. I start to sort of have a bad feeling as to what it could be but I try not to let that creep in my head.

Monday I go to this interview and they tell me to wait outside for a bit. I later am introduced to some people- who are pretty chill by the way and my leader. First thing I need to do is move my car from the street to the garage; aight cool. Then I get in a car...umm ok.. I'm thinkin in my head I'm gonna be checkin out office operations and shit like that...no I'm headin to White Plains. WHITE PLAINS?? FOR WHAT?? Then I come to realize that this "marketing job" is some soliciting shit. The premise is pitching a product to either a business or individial which is deeply discounted (i.e. Citilights Cruises 8 tickets for $40 as opposed to 1 ticket @ $40). It's a sick deal indeed but to go to these people cold like that I don't like this idea at all. All day on Monday I'm walkin around White Plains with my trainer watching her try to get people to buy a spa package at Lisa's Day Spa (a $245 value at $50). We probably went to like 100 different places at least it felt like it did anyway and out of all of that "chipping away"...3 sales. 3 fuckin sales, dear God. The hook is to try and get people to believe that it's an impulse and you're missing out on something good if you don't get this offer right now...and it works on some people but not on others. I'm taking mental notes of this and while I don't like it..it's not TOO bad.

I head back to the office, take a questionnaire and then get hired to join the team. Needing time to think about this and to rest as well...I tell them I will begin on Wednesday. My parents get wind of this and my dad warns me that this job sounds like one of those Avon sales jobs..or that Vector Knife bullshit jobs (Lord have mercy) and it is beneath you. Although I'm sure they're right, I tell them that I have nothing else to fall back on right now and reluctantly go today in this fuckin snow/rain storm because I knew that ppl in training would make $300/week.

I get in at 8 and sign the distributor contract. I get briefed into what I learned on Monday in terms of beginning to pitch the product (today was the Citilights Cruise thing). I thought I was gonna have to go back to White Plains today and was dreadin it all the way...until they told us we were only goin to Northern Boulevard (and staying in Queens fortunately). Fair enough, so we begin with everything at 10am. For 2 1/2 dreary hours, myself and my trainer go into EVERY SINGLE non-private building trying to get the employees there, people chillin in cars and people walkin on the street about the product. Half of em don't even understand/speak "engleesh" so that defeated the point, some of em wouldn't really give you the time of day and then there were some close-but-no-cigar ones. I tried to stay interested but it's really hard for me to get excited about selling discounted cruise tickets (though I won't like I would actually buy them). Only ONE person was willing to buy one off of us during the morning hours; yet my trainer stayed being happy. For what reason, hell did I know.

Lunch was bangin, I can't remember the name of the Pizza Shop but I would highly recommend it. The pitchin continued for the rest of the day with not ONE SALE being done. Some of the people that we talked to were hella chill and everyone for the most part were nice so I couldn't complain about that. I began feelin like one of those ppl on the train who ask for change at every train car for Food For The Homeless or some shit. You get so many No's you begin to expect it coming from someone even if they at first appear interested. We probably spoke to over 200 people and out of ALL OF THAT...one sale. Jesus.

I head back to the office for a brief meeting and what's goin on for tomorrow. Everyone gets their money for the day and then I get mine. I get SIX BUCKS. SIX FUCKIN BUCKS?!?! You have GOT to be kidding me. All that walkin in the rain, puddles, feet wet, sayin hi to a buncha ppl lends me $6??? I should have KNOWN THIS WAS A DAMN COMMISSION-ONLY BASED JOB. ANYBODY COULD DO THIS SHIT. I read: "No specific experience or education is required as we do all the training." Figures. Fuckin figures. The commission is 40% of whatever you sell so that's not THAT bad..but that puts undue pressure on you to make money. It's a good OPPORTUNITY but I prefer my money straight up; and I'm not gaining anything from this experience. Therefore tomorrow I will not show up and I will hereby quit.

I'm embarrassed. I'm infuriated. I got duped HARDBODY. I have nothing left to say...I can't believe I went through all of that. Back to square one for me I guess...

And so on.

1 comment:

The Professor said...

Congrats, you made it through three days of something like that. I survived only a half day ha.