Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Weekend Warrior.

It was quite the weekend I must admit. I'ma do the chronological timeline.

Friday:
6:05pm- Head over to the Kickboxing Dojo to wrap-up/warm-up.
6:30pm- Another hella intense Kickboxing workout.
8:05pm- Arrive home grateful that I have an off-day Saturday and probably not gonna go on Sunday either.
9:25pm- Drive my pops out to Brooklyn to go pick up his taxes. I don't know what it is but every time I go I wind up gettin quite a few text messages/phone calls AS I'M DRIVING.
11:11pm- Remember that there's a house party out in the city; albeit it's "circus-themed". What would I be? Homey the Clown? Fuck outta here. I don't think that I'm actually expected to show up but I'm gonna shock ze world. Honestly I was about to just come in my all-black Adidas jumpsuit...but just in case it bombed, I wanted to be dressed to go somewhere else.
12:30am- Make it out there. Stuy-Town is hella weird; it has the feel of a gated community (and in some ways it is) but it is an underrated place to live. Finding parkin wasn't terrible but since I parked closer to 1st avenue...the walk was about 3-4 more blocks. I tell ya; when I get there I personally know what to expect but my boy is just like "man oh man this should be entertaining".
12:43am- As I'm knockin on the door and ringing the bell to get in...BAM there goes my homegirl/former gf in a state of shock that I actually came. You know how it goes "Holy shit I so didn't expect you to come I'm so glad you came it's so nice to see you!!!" The thing is, I really don't mind seeing her and her friends once in awhile so it's not like I'm gonna be fake with my emotions you feel me? I get inside and for the most part the people who I know in there are trashed. I am 100% sober and will remain that way for the duration of the night.
1:17am- These costumes are outta control I tell ya. They take these costume themes seriously. Balloons up in the air, this is the recession version of Ringling Brothers and Baranum Bailey minus the cannonballs and animals (unless you count the fish they have). Beer Pong on a circular table??? Bor-ring. Knowing that my guest appearance needs to end ASAP, I head out to go meet up with one of my boy's good friends that he hadn't seen in a minute.
1:45am- Head over to some random bar. As we try to get in and consider payin the $5 cover we get the infamous "Sorry fellas right now we only lettin couples and ladies in...too many dudes sittin by the bar"
2:00am- Some chick is screamin at her friend about her drunkness blah blah blah one of those drunk bitch arguments.
2:02am- After a good amount of people left- the bouncer sez we can come in now but we no longer are interested in goin inside.
2:15am- "I want some fucking pizza"
Me: "Two doors down"
Her: (dismissive wave) "I see how it is over at the other place how they won't serve a Polish girl"
Me: "I wonder why..."
2:30am- Central Bar is pretty much dead at this point. I thought there mighta been a slight chance we were gonna meet up with the other ppl from that circus "fiesta" but I guess that never materialized for em.
2:40am- Snicker as we pass Pourhouse- the most overrated bar in the city and the official Fist-Pump bar of the East Village.
2:41am- Go inside a pretty deserted Nevadas. What a weak finish to a promising evening.

Saturday:
2pm- Time to go to the city for a Beer Pong tournament over at Porky's. This should be fun...$30 for a 3-8 open bar you're not gonna get much better than that.
3:20pm- Meet up with my boy who thinks the place is closed ha (I don't blame him though..it looked closed. By the way, during the day that entire club section looks hella weird when everything is closed. But it was actually open...just no one there.
3:35pm- The promoter of this tournament tells the 6 people that are there (ha) that since no one is here that the beer is free (pitchers also) and everyone will come away with something. For the fuck of it me and my boy play 2 rounds of pong with me winning both of them (1-0 and then 2-0).
4:30pm- Porky's closes until 10pm. This actually gets me hyped because I can hit up Hoboken even earlier than when I intended and it should still be poppin off. In Hoboken they celebrate St. Patrick's Day the weekend before apparently...and with it being about a 10 min train ride from Manhattan...fuck it ha.
4:55pm- Arrive in Hoboken. You know people are already all fucked up in the game. Keep in mind, the bars have been open in most cases since 11am; some even earlier than that. Every bar in Hoboken today is gonna have a cover- the poppin one that I had seen initially was right across from the PATH called Teke.
"What's the cover??"
"$25"
"Nah now it's $40"
"$40??"
Dear. God.
5:05pm- So many bars to choose from in so little time. Everywhere you go there's a long line anyhow so there are bound to be chicks wherever you go. Now it's just a matter of findin a place with a legit enough DJ and enough decent lookin chicks that are going inside.
One thing I'm noticing already about Hoboken is that chicks roll DEEP. So what I've been hearing all along about hella single ladies to choose from is in fact true. I'm lovin this so far but now I need to get somewhere because only having beer in my system is not gonna keep my buzz goin for much longer.
5:10pm- Walk past one of these bars and these 2 dudes walk over to us and go "Yo take these passes and get right to the front I swear these are gonna work." Well it doesn't help that I'm the only black guy within a 50 yard radius but you know what I'm gonna try this out anyway.
5:11pm- "Aww naw I know ye wasn't here before; get to the back of the leen (line)."
"How much to get in here anyway??"
"$30"
5:20pm- I bump into one of my boys right by the riverfront who had been in Hoboken since about 9am and was ready to call it a day. There was a choice of these 2 bars right across the street from each other and now realizing that $20 is likely gonna be the least I'll be spending to go inside somewhere it was a choice between this one bar and Green Rock. Green Rock it is.
6pm- This line has hardly moved what the fuck! I guess I can understand because no one is really leaving (and who'd blame them, it actually sounds like a legit time in there). Meanwhile my buzz is pretty much gone and I did make the error of judgement by not bringing anything else with me drinkwise (which is something I usually do). Fortunately these chicks that were ahead of me on line had some flavored vodka and we took shots from them.
6:30pm- I gotta take a piss for the ages but I'm getting ever so close to finally being inside...but I know that it would take forever and a day. I had to get out of the line to use the porter potties (fortunately they weren't rancid-smellin since I presume ppl only used em for takin pisses and nothin more. Was nobody gonna fuck with me gettin back to my place on line.
6:40pm- Some white dude gets out of the bar and goes "Later, niggassss". Since I'm on the line, everyone turns and looks at the dude like what the fuck. I say "What??" to him and he looks briefly at me before puttin his head down in shame. He was plastered and probably presumed no black ppl were goin inside so he thought he could get away with that. Not so much.
7:10pm- I am IN! It's not that bad in there, it's not packed really but that's done so people aren't mushed up on each other. Understandable (as I think I mentioned before). I had on my infamous "From Myspace to Myplace" shirt so of course everyone there needs to go look at my shirt. But yes even before that- some drunk as hell Asian chick is already dancin up on me. Very, very nice.
7:15pm- "Hahaha, omg your shirt is so awesome! What shots do you want??"
Me: "Jameson sounds good."
I'm thinking that me, my boy and this chick are gonna pay for our shots separately. Not to be; she bought em for us. Whoa.

Basically from this point forward it was the same old song and dance. There were more girls in the joint than fellas which is always a good thing but it can lead to girl swarms that make it hard to penetrate their defense.
- The Myspace to Myplace shirt is a hit as usual making ppl laugh and shit like that. I get into a convo with some chick about it and how she only uses Facebook and has GMail. I have them both so what ha. She takes like 5 pictures with me and says "Oh look the picture isn't coming out." Young chicka- your LCD screen is cracked so of course ur not gonna be able to see shit. Oh Jersey. They left shortly thereafter unfortunately.
- Some chick guarantees that I'll get some kind of play before the end of the night; if I haven't already. She thinks I'm lyin and have been in Hoboken all day but in reality I only got here at 5. I tell her she should be my guinea pig.
- I love thick/chubby white girls.
- It's very hard to get a read on Jersey chicks especially when they are wasted. One minute they'll be ALL OVER you (i.e- they'll grab you and dance up all over you; then the next minute they will walk away and act like they don't know you at all). It's a love-hate relationship for me personally let me tell ya. It's a good thing that I didn't buy any of em a drink last night.
- It can be hilarious takin advantage of people (unintentionally). This guy bought me a shot simply because I was helpin him for the time being preventing a cockblock from her friend (one of the thuck/chubby white girls- btw, when I left she did kiss me in the mouth. Yes, score?).
- On the train ride back to the city..this chick was takin the train by herself and started up convo with me and my boy. Ahh she was kinda thick and from PA. Yessss. Tellin me all the good things, until she says she has a boyfriend who she lives with. FUCKKKK. Well then again that shoulda been expected, a single lady takin the train by herself woulda been too good to be true. Then she talks about how she wants him to give her booty but he's the type that isn't willing to get at it, ya know that whole schpel. Dear God. That woulda been icing (no pun intended) on the cake.
- Overall I spent: $20 on cover; $3.50 round-trip on the PATH; $15 on 2 beers. Not that bad to be honest considering I got 3 free shots as well.

Hoboken's final grade: A-. I can't complain. As long as you're out there to have a good time and are at least tryin to approach the ladies you are bound to get some attention. Jersey girls although they're flaky they are a lot more approchable at least than NYC girls who come off cold. The cover was OD and the wait on line was absolutely ridiculous...in the end it was worth it. Would I do that on a weekly basis?? Of course not..but does a trip to Hoboken in the near-future need to happen? Most definitely. It'll be interesting to see when these covers are back to their regularly scheduled price. It lived up to its hype right as I expected it to be.

And so on.

1 comment:

ERIC said...

I'm happy to see you had fun in the DJ. For the record, there were only sick covers and lines because it was St. Pattys Day. Otherwise, there are few or no covers as well as regular wait times, if any. GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID!