Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sunday Night Rah-Rah/Sean Bell Double Feature.

This week I feel good ya know? Let's get it.

1) I was listenin to the radio this mornin (yes, I have to get up at 8 somethin in the mornin to drop my grandmother off to Brooklyn) and they were talkin about this dude who was having consensual sex with a chick, she told him to stop but he kept goin for literally 5 more seconds...and then she decided to call rape. WTF?? Now I've heard it all. All I can deduce as to what happened is either:
a) She suddenly realized that the dude looked like DK and not like Usher.
b) His dick was small.
c) You didn't follow Aaliyah's advice and rock the boat, rock the boat, work the middle, etc.
d) Maybe it actually hurt.

Either way, it kinda gets me worried now about chicks. I doubt most would be retarded enough to do that but imagine hookin up with someone, goin back to the crib, smashin and then wakin up in the morning and them goin "Oh hell nah dude musta slipped somethin in my drank!" Another ploy to get us in trouble, and you kno the police gonna take their word everytime. Shit I have a voice recordin thing on my Razr I might need to put it to use now hah. If I'm gettin me some I have to double or triple check to make sure this is authentic; not like a "Mitchell and Ness" jersey you'd get from your local bootlegger.

2) I have an interview this Tuesday morning at a sports marketing firm. Now normally I wouldn't be too too nervous about it because I know how the interview process goes, but I really need an internship and I'm almost on some now or never powertrip. It's been a year since I had one in the sports field and I tend to get discouraged easily. I'll go on interviews but never seem to get them...and I don't know why, I always think I did well but there's always "someone who did better yap yap yap". I feel like I need to completely dominate this one, be on my A+ game like I never have before. I'm probably 1 for my last 15 bleh. John Starks would be proud. But seriously, wish me luck. The good kind.

3) Brief grading on the NBA series thus far:
a) Celtics-Hawks: C. Boston dominated the first 2 as expected, but I am kinda shocked the Hawks actually won a game and put up a helluva fight too. Their passion is definetly there- being the youngest team in the 16 team playoff field.
b) Pistons-Sixers: B-. Philly shocked a lot of people winning the first game at Detroit, then the Pistons played for real again in the following game. When the series shifted to Philly, same story. Absolutely stunning 20 point Sixers victory in game 3 and then the Pistons played hard in game 4. This on/off switch of Detroit's is maddening.
c) Magic-Raptors: C. Most people thought this would be a good series but in actuality the Magic really are the better team and proved why in games 1, 2 and 4. Of course the Raptors were gonna win game 3, like most teams do coming home.
d) Cavs-Wizards: B. 2 mammoth blowouts (30+ point victories for Cleveland in game 2 and Washington in game 3), but sandwiched inbetween were 2 hard-fought games that could've went the Wizards' way...but the LeBrons somehow pull them out. Pretty physical series but unfortunately it doesn't look like the Wiz will solve the LeBrons again this year.
e) Lakers-Nuggets: F. Lakers are totally dominating this series, Nuggets are looking discombabulated, frustrated, everything. Hell, they couldn't even put up 90 last night! This series needs to mercilessly end tommorrow for the love of God. I thought Celtics-Hawks would be the most lopsided series boy I was wrong.
f) Hornets-Mavs: D. Yeah, it really looks like that Jason Kidd deal really worked well for the Mavs...not. 2 convincing victories in the NO, of course Dallas wins game 3 but Hornets controlled the tempo tonight. In New Orleans next game, this one is over. Mavs are missing leadership; pretty ironic that Stephon Marbury wanted his team to be like Dallas (go to the 4 minute mark; but honestly it's one of the funniest interviews ever in general).
g) Spurs-Suns: C-. Only gets this mark because game 1 was an instant classic. Suns haven't proven they can close out games, and it's pretty obvious why Gregg Poppovich is the best coach in the NBA. Granted the Suns annihalated the Spurs tonight but that's only delaying the inevitable since they're now down 3-1. Would I love for the Suns to win, you bet your ass I do. But the chances of that happening are about as good as me gettin sunburnt.
h) Rockets-Jazz: A-. The best series thus far, even though the Jazz are up 3-1 this series has emphasized exactly what the playoffs are about; close, low scoring, timely baskets kinda games. All 4 games could have gone either way.

4) Quote of the week courtesy of one of my customers at the Apple Store on Friday: "Look at me man I'm 81 years old...and I'm still lookin at all these beautiful young ladies that walk by. My grandfather always told me the day you stop lookin at women is the day you roll over and die."

5) Everytime I listen to the radio over here I always hear these damn commercials about either Zencor Tabs (some shit that apparently helps your sexual endurance) or some shit about Right-Sized Smoothies (in which they claim some chick lost 47 pounds so far off of) and they're always risk-free trials. Hella suspect if you ask me hah, side effects probably include death, a permanently erect penis or some shit who knows. I don't really care about sexual endurance at this time since I don't have a gf; the smoothies sure I'd be down to try, but Weight Watchers would probably be better for me anyway.

That's it for now because now I'm gonna make a far left turn and turn to a subject that really has me agitated- the Sean Bell incident. Now for those who may not have a clue as to what it's about (outside of NYC) read this ish here. Long story short, dude was chillin with his boys at a nightclub in Queens the day before his wedding day, an incident broke out outside and then cops shot 50 times. Yes, 50 effin times, Bell was killed while his 2 boys were injured. Nevertheless, this incident happened in 2006 and only 2 months ago the trial began here. To a lot of people's dismays...the cops COMPLETELY GOT OFF! No reckless endangerment, murder charges, assault, NOTHING AT ALL. The quote that I found total bullshit came from the police department and I kid you not, "What happened to Sean Bell was a tragedy, not a crime." Absolutely ridiculous; but I have to make a few points (in my typical brief and to the point fashion).

1) This was NOT racially motivated whatsoever. Matter of fact, the 3 cops were White, Black, and Hispanic. But for the cops to get off with everything on a state level (this was a state trial) proves that cops are pretty much above the law with everything. Sure working for the NYPD or any police force in a big city is a dangerous job, you risk life and death out in the streets every day. But this verdict goes to show that unless it was 100% blantant, you're more than likely gonna get off with nothing more than a slap on the wrist (administrative leave, big fuckin deal).

2) It's one thing if you're defending yourself sure, if someone is not complying to your orders and is shooting at you fine take a couple of non-life threatening shots. But to shoot off all of your clip, and then to RELOAD?? 50 shots?? Do you really need to? That's absolutely reckless.

3) With the delays in the trial, it fucks with the prosecution and is in the defense's advantage. Always. Because the longer an incident occurs, the more likely testimony can wind up being foggier and have inaccuracies in them that contradict the original testimony. That's what the judge even said about the shooting victims themselves and that was a significant reason for the non-guilty verdict. Also, not having a jury and only having the judge make the decision does not bode well for the prosecution because think about it- the judge doesn't want to prosecute in essence his own people: law enforcement.

4) The cops never even spoke during the entire ordeal/trial until only AFTER the verdict had been passed.

5) Okay sure, now the trial may go federal. But what's the most that's gonna happen? The city will owe the Bell family and the victims of the other families involved some millions of dollars. Big fucking deal. That's not gonna bring much in the way of justice nor closure.

Aight, now I'm done. Your thoughts are always appreciated, especially about the Sean Bell case.

And so on.

No comments: