Friday, October 29, 2010

The Overuse of "Hater".

Oh where to begin? I blame Maino for all this mess with his "Hi Hater" song from a couple of years back. Now everyone has taken a word that used to have such a strong meaning and pussified it.

Example 1: "Haters are my motivators." Wait, what?? Don't get me wrong, it's good to be fueled to prove people who may doubt you wrong...but whatever happened to motivating yourself? Why would you think about people who obviously give less of a shit about you than a flushed toilet? Whatever happened to being motivated by peers, people you may have grown up looking up to, your parents and the ilk? These so called "haters" of yours aren't watching you 24/7 and in the words of Antoine Dodson "you can run and tell dat!"

Example 2: "Shoutout to my haters." Since when? Can you even name who they are? If not then what the fuck is the point? Last time I checked, we gave shoutouts on the radio and the ilk to our peeps.

Example 3: "Haters" in the context of disagreeing with an opinion. Why does it have to constitute "hatin?" What I miss?? This happens most when discussing somethin in the sports or entertainment realm. Per example, if someone brings up Drake and I say I don't like him because of his style or whatever- that makes me a "hater"? I'm supposed to like everyone and everything that I encounter? Isn't that hypocritical? Sure is. I DO think that if you can't respect an opinion or a hustle then that's "hatin" though.

One of the dumbest quotes I have ever stumbled upon not surprisingly was on Twitter. "If ur OVERLY critical of others career & ur not gettin paid 4 this profession ur not a critic ur just a HATER"- @RevRunWisdom. It's wrong for the common person to critique now?? C'mon son. It's as if no one is willing to take the heat (unless they're tryin to have em win a championship in NBA 2K11) yet at the same time they desperately want somethin to hang their hat on. Just because someone critiques somethin doesn't mean they're hinging on you. Quite the opposite, it's YOU that's obsessin over this "hater".

And this "Haters give me publicity" crap...KNOCK IT OFF. Yes, they do sort of. But it's highly unlikely that no one else gives a shit. If I smack the shit out of you in the middle of the forest (a public realm) and no one hears it or sees it- it's the same concept. What happened to thankin those who are worth a damn in your lives more so?

We are obsessed now with this "haters" shit. Hate, hate, hate. Then we turn around and complain "where's the love?" Spent it all. And so on.

No comments: