Monday, May 4, 2009

The DK and Mets Parallel.

For people that do know me...yes I am a big sports fan in general. But if there is one team that is nearest and dearest to my heart...it'd have to be the New York Mets. Why them and not Los Jankees? First off, I lived in Queens ever since I was 5 and the first baseball game I went to was when I was 8. Most of the time, the Mets have been irrelevant with the exceptions being 1999, 2000 and 2006. Now they are good...but know how to break your heart, to the point where you become cynical of everything. Plus, with events that have happened to me, I couldn't help but realize they are similar to how the Mets have been for the past 3+ years.

2006- A season that was too good to be true. Won the division by what, 14 games? Tied for the best record in baseball (oddly enough with los Jankees) with a 95-67 record. Obliterated the Dodgers in the first round of the playoffs and was supposed to breeze past St. Louis, an 83 win team. Somehow though we lose in 7 games. I have a mental breakdown.

Translation in real life purposes: That summer was probably the best I ever had, livin it up in Manhattan with some close friends, gettin drunk/tipsy 4x-week. Hella relaxin with very little worries. Makin money from the summer housing job AND from Adidas. Lost about 30 pounds. Finally got my troublesome tonsils removed. Started getting attention from girls again. Had a relationship which breezed for the first 4 months but then falls apart in the last 2 months in which you're helpless to defend against.

2007- Although not as dominant as 2006, still appears like another easy NL East crown. Suddenly stop winning. Everybody knows the rest- I'm not even gonna talk about it.

Translation in real life purposes: After shaking off my slow start after March 07, get the ball rolling again. Graduated, had a relatively fun summer even though I was living at home this time, worked pretty often with Adidas so I always had side cash. Not as skinny as I was in 2006 but still presentable. Got involved in another relationship- this time one which I took my time with and felt really rewarding and proud to be in. Began thinking long-term immediately but an epic collapse of my relationship proved my undoing. This time, could not recover and became extra cynical.

2008- Started off slow (43-44) but then caught some fire after a managerial change. For the 3rd straight September had a lead in the division. This time because of injuries and the worst pen in the majors, miss the playoffs yet again.

Translation in real life purposes: Gained probably 20 pounds and could give a shit about myself. Went under a realization period and began doing something about it. Had a job at Crapple. Had my moments here and there but certainly didn't have the magic that the previous 2 years had. Figured shit wouldn't turn out right, did get an internship but lost the paying job. Became cynical again.

Thus far in 2009- Slow start. 10-13 record. Already thinking about September and October as to what will happen. Don't want to get my hopes up.

Translation in real life purposes: Not getting my hopes up for anything.

And so on.

No comments: